The Simons Foundation is a private foundation established in 1994 in New York City. With assets of approximately $2 billion and an annual grants and programs budget of $230 million, the foundation is dedicated to advancing the frontiers of research in mathematics and the basic sciences.
Simons Foundation programs in Mathematics & Physical Sciences support mathematics, theoretical computer science and theoretical physics, and the foundation’s Life Sciences programs have focused on research that promotes synergy between biology and mathematics.
The foundation is also committed to advancing autism research. Launched in 2005, the Simons Foundation Autism Research Initiative (SFARI) is a research campaign within the Simons Foundation’s overall suite of programs whose mission is to improve the diagnosis and treatment of autism spectrum disorders by funding innovative research of the greatest quality and relevance.
Quanta Magazine, an editorially independent science news site published by the Simons Foundation, is seeking an experienced visual editor to direct and develop the presentation of the publication, including illustrations, photography, interactive graphics and video/multimedia. In addition to overseeing the work of freelance artists, photographers, interactive designers and the staff web producer, the visual editor will conceive and develop new science multimedia projects. He/she will also help provide a vision for, and guide, future site redesigns.
The ideal candidate will be an accomplished art director, photo editor or multimedia editor with demonstrated strengths in the remaining two categories; a deft, detail-oriented manager with impeccable news judgment and a strong interest in science; and a diehard advocate for the highest standards in journalistic ethics and scientific accuracy. He/she will be fluent in Web publishing and have a refined sense of design and great enthusiasm for the potential of the online medium to communicate ideas.
This full-time position reports to the managing editor and offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits. It is based at the Simons Foundation offices in New York City.
- Researching and assigning photos and illustrations for Quanta articles with the assistance of the web producer.
- Identifying opportunities to develop/direct video, data-driven interactive graphics and other multimedia, both to augment Quanta articles and as standalone projects.
- Supervising the work of the staff web producer and freelance visual contributors.
- Writing headlines, blurbs, captions, teasers and other display copy related to multimedia presentations and work with copy chief to have them copy-edited and fact-checked.
- Developing and maintaining a Quanta visual style guide.
- Supervise the presentation of Quanta Magazine web pages, articles and multimedia features.
- Consult from time to time with non-Quanta SimonsFoundation.org leadership or staff on matters of art selection or design.
- At least 5 years’ experience as an art director, photo editor or multimedia editor for a large newspaper or magazine, and significant knowledge in the other two areas, including substantial work involving science news.
- Experience supervising the work of photographers, illustrators, interactive designers and web producers, and the ability to attract top-notch freelancers.
- Must be comfortable directing/editing visual projects under Web deadlines and be fluent in the best visual editing standards and online conventions.
- Must be comfortable working for a digital publication. Candidates who come from a print background must have some familiarity, however derived, with online culture and how it functions.
Related Skills & Other Requirements
- Must be detail-oriented, organized, an excellent communicator and team player and have the ability to coordinate publication schedules and manage relationships with freelancers and partner organizations.
- Some content management system experience, specifically WordPress, is desirable, as is basic familiarity with Web metrics and SEO.
Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter, three references and 8-10 work samples to: tlin(replace this with the @ sign)simonsfoundation.org. Salary commensurate with experience. No phone calls, please.
Simons Foundation is an Equal Opportunity employer, M/F/D/V.