The Simons Foundation is a private foundation established in 1994 in New York City. With assets of approximately $2 billion and an annual grants and programs budget of $230 million, the foundation is dedicated to advancing the frontiers of research in mathematics and the basic sciences.
Simons Foundation programs in Mathematics & Physical Sciences support mathematics, theoretical computer science and theoretical physics, and the foundation’s Life Sciences programs have focused on research that promotes synergy between biology and mathematics.
The foundation is also committed to advancing autism research. Launched in 2005, the Simons Foundation Autism Research Initiative (SFARI) is a research campaign within the Simons Foundation’s overall suite of programs whose mission is to improve the diagnosis and treatment of autism spectrum disorders by funding innovative research of the greatest quality and relevance.
Quanta Magazine, an editorially independent science news site published by the Simons Foundation, is seeking an experienced online news producer to update, maintain and improve our website, SimonsFoundation.org/Quanta. This full-time position reports to Quanta’s art director/multimedia editor.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Solid news judgment, experience producing a science news site
- Mastery of content management systems and media editing software
- Good design sense, experience researching and editing science photos, graphics and illustrations
- The highest standards of online news production and journalistic ethics
- Great enthusiasm for the potential of the online medium to communicate ideas
While copy-editing and writing skills are a plus, and some writing of display copy may be needed, this is not a writing position.
This position offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits. It is based at the Simons Foundation offices in New York City.
- Format, post and update articles, images, video and other multimedia content on SimonsFoundation.org/Quanta.
- Manage the presentation of Quanta Magazine’s pages.
- Assist art director in researching, editing and securing rights to photos, illustrations, video and other visual content.
- Edit video and multimedia under the supervision of the art director.
- Create and send electronic announcements and newsletters.
- Work with vendors/developers to create, maintain and troubleshoot website features.
- Help proof and test all content before it is published.
- Evaluate new technologies and designs for use on the website.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Compiling and reporting web metrics
- Providing coverage of website assignments for other SimonsFoundation.org web producers as needed when they are out of the office
- Moderating comments and working with editors to develop and implement a social media plan
- At least 3 years’ experience as a web producer for a large newspaper or magazine, including substantial work in science news and producing video and multimedia.
- Extensive content management system experience is required, as is basic familiarity with Web metrics and SEO.
- Some experience and comfort with social media and associated platforms, customs and strategies.
Related Skills & Other Requirements:
- Must be a proactive and professional communicator/collaborator who is comfortable working with a variety of individuals — including colleagues, outside vendors and freelance contributors — and responding to reader requests.
- Must have the ability to coordinate Web publication schedules with the editorial team.
- Must be forward-thinking and knowledgeable about latest trends in Web design and production.
- Must be detail-oriented and organized, and demonstrate mastery of the highest standards of Web production, visual media and written English.
- Must be comfortable producing feature-length articles and large multimedia packages under Web deadlines and be fluent in the best online conventions.
Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter, three references and 8–10 work samples to: tlin(replace this with the @ sign)simonsfoundation.org. Salary commensurate with experience. No phone calls, please.
Simons Foundation is an Equal Opportunity employer, M/F/D/V.