The Simons Foundation’s Mathematics and Physical Sciences (MPS) division invites applications for the Targeted Grants to Institutes program.
Rationale: The program is intended to support established institutes or centers in the mathematics and physical sciences through funding to help strengthen contacts within the international scientific community. Our aim is to enable institutes to extend and enhance their mission; this program will not provide primary support for operating or establishing an institute.
Level and Duration of Funding: A typical targeted grant to an institute provides funding for three to five years at a level of $100,000 to $200,000 per year, which includes 20 percent in indirect costs to the institution.
Allowable Expenses: The funding provided under the targeted grant is flexible and based on the type of support requested by the institution in the proposal.
Indirect costs are limited to 20 percent of direct costs, with the following exceptions: equipment, tuition and any subcontracts with budgets including indirect expenses. Indirect costs paid to a subcontractor may not exceed 20 percent of the direct costs paid to the subcontractor.
Additional funding policies are available on our website:
Unspent Funds: Any funds not spent in one year of the grant, excluding PI salary, may be spent in subsequent years without prior approval. Unspent funds at the end of the grant period must be returned to the foundation unless express permission is obtained for a specified future use. Requests for no-cost extensions will be considered.
Reporting: Annual financial statements and progress reports are due within 60 days of the end of each grant year. Specific deliverable requirements will be outlined in the award notification.
Eligibility: Applications may be submitted by established U.S. and foreign public and private institutes and research centers. The program is not intended to support institutes or centers whose main purpose is to provide a focal point for research of faculty at a specific university.
Examples of institutes and programs the foundation is currently supporting through this program can be found on our website: https://www.simonsfoundation.org/funding/funding-opportunities/mathematics-physical-sciences/targeted-grants-to-institutes/awardees/
Number of Awards: The foundation expects to award up to three targeted grants each year.
How to Apply: Institutions, via single applicants, may apply through proposalCENTRAL (https://proposalcentral.altum.com/default.asp) beginning July 1, 2016. The deadline to apply is October 13, 2016, at 11:59:59 PM EST. No extensions will be granted. There is no limit to the number of applications per institution.
Please coordinate submission of the proposal with the appropriate officials in accordance with institution policies. Please refer to the Application Instructions for further information on and requirements for submitting an application.
Application Requirements Include:
- A summary of the support requested (six-page limit, plus up to two pages for references and figures), including the specific scientific goals, background relevant to the application and the significance of the proposed support.
- A detailed three- to five-year budget in USD, along with a budget justification and proposed start and end dates.
- A curriculum vitae for all key scientific personnel directly involved in the proposal, which should include:
- Ph.D. year, institution, advisor, positions held, and honors and awards;
- a list of current and former collaborators, postdoctoral fellows supervised and Ph.D. students trained within the past five years; and
- a list of up to ten relevant publications.
- Statement of current and pending support for all key scientific personnel directly involved in the proposal.
- 501(c)(3) equivalency determination letter from the IRS for international institutions.
Funding decisions will be announced by December 31, 2016, and funding will begin no later than July 1, 2017.
|Application Available||Application Deadline||Award Notification||Award Start Date|
|July 1, 2016||October 13, 2016||December 31, 2016||No later than July 1, 2017|
mps(replace this with the @ sign)simonsfoundation.org
Senior Program Manager, Mathematics and the Physical Sciences
eroy(replace this with the @ sign)simonsfoundation.org